Monday, October 20, 2014

Pune to Delhi. The Solo Wanderer.



On 9th October around 1AM, I receive a call that my hon'ble presence is required at Delhi by 15th October 9:00AM Sharp. I wasn't in a mood to budge from my cozy couch anytime before Delhi, but the intensity of the call had me on my feet. As you know, I am not the guy who travels by the trains, buses or aircrafts, well.... sometimes aircrafts, yes. But I strictly avoid these modes of transports. I feel like I am missing the beautiful surroundings by these. So, only one thing struck my mind.. Lets go biking. It had been a pretty long time since I took to some serious long distance touring and this one was a chance.
I hurriedly packed up a bag with few shirts, jeans, a blazer and some utilities. It was around 3 when I went to bed, with my heart thumping with exitement. I soon woke up with a 3hr sleep, prepped up the beast who was going to make it possible, got into the gears and bade a Good Bye to parents and off I was. Excitement soon died down when I realised that I was pretty low on fuel and cash. ATM soon followed with the petrol bunker. Shell super at 84-ish seemed good at that time.
Selfie after 250kms on Odo



Beautiful structures at Surat

40kms away from Surat


The Old Pune-Mumbai Highway meets the Exressway
I was going to be away from the Sahyadri ranges and the sea for a pretty long time, so my first destination was fixed somewhere on the beaches near Alibaug. It wasn't far and my route was Pune - Old Mumbai Highway - Lonavala - Pen - Alibaug.
Reached Alibaug near afternoon. Got a hotel for cheap rate due to off season. The night was spent wandering on the beach with the Arabian waters touching my feet. It was all emptyness around me, and I was feeling sad for leaving the city.



It was 5AM when I took to the coastal roads of Alibaug to Pen. After 200-ish kms stopped for food and stopped a few kms ahead again for a selfie. While posting it on facebook, I was made aware of the Birthday of Piyush (Paxy) our beloved biker-brother at the NakedWolves Club of Pune-Mumbai. Wished him, although had to wake him up from his slumber, apologies for that brother.
My target for the day was somewhere around Vapi. Fortunately, my average speed surpassed my expectations and I raced past Mumbai via Mumbra to the Fountain hotel well before afternoon. All thanks to the traffic of Mumbai, I did manage to get past the kilometer long traffic jam of trucks. Very soon I crossed into the border of Gujarat and stopped at a roadside shack for food. Was delighted to have the Misal-Pav. Will be missing it.. Daman was not far from here and so was Silvassa. By then I got a message from my dear biking brother Hardik from Surat asking to meet up thus setting the halt point of the journey.

40kms away from Surat


With Hardik

Pakodas at Dumas Beach

At the bridge near the port. Hope you can make out the ships in all that darkness



View from Harik's gallery

Surat City

Time to take on the road again!

Final Selfie


The roads of Gujarat are buttersmooth in perfect sense with absolutely nil pothole or unevenness on the hundreds of kilometers of stretch. The scenicness never ends and is one to watch for. The architecture of the temples enroute are another superb thing to watch out. The people around are simple, kind and helpful people. Where ever I stopped, people flocked around to see the bike and were amazed to know my Source of journey and the destination.
I reached Surat with a 16kms deviation from the highway and a few kms further to Hardik's house. Hardik runs Bonitto.com which is a startup, first of its kind dealing in women wear. With his office in  International Trade Centre (ITC), Surat and just a handful of employees he is doing great.
Headed to his home where I was being put up for the night. After a brief rest, we both headed to the nearby places including the Nation's 3rd most haunted place Dumas beach. Had Surat's famous pakodas with curry ranging from tomato pakoda to Onion pakoda. After loitering around for some more time near the haunted beach. It was all dark and had an eerieness in the air. All houses were locked and doors, windows closed. Not a single soul was visible. We headed back to Nawab's (a resturant)  and then to Madras Dosa, a roadside stall serving some amazing custom dosas. Even Madrasi's (Chennai-ites) will be amazed with the flavours, its absolutely delighting. Had a few dosas here, and I was full to the brim. With no more space left in the tummy, we headed to a bridge near the port. Could see 2 ships docked and a ship being built. Soon after we headed for the cozy beds at Hardik's home after a Paan. His house was being renovated and my heartfelt warm thanks to Hardik, Aunty and Uncle for allowing me to stay. I know you took pains, I know a simple thanks isn't enough, but bhai tu dil mein uttar gaya yaar..!

It was early morning around 6AM when I woke up. The morning sun was shining with a glistening golden glow and view from Hardik's gallery was of a beautiful Surat wrapped in a golden glow. Got fresh and took off from Surat after bidding Good bye to all. Today's target was fixed at Mt.Abu somehow. Took a selfie as I touched the highway. As I was posting the pic on facebook, received a message from Vaibhav from Godhra of meeting up. Metup with him at Golden Chokrdi, Vadodara over a meal of fabulos veg manchurians. He is from Uttar Pradesh's Bareilly. After a small photo session, where we were troubled by a cow trying to scratch her ear using my RVM (Rear view Mirror).

I got no idea how I clicked this one..

Amdavad duur che...

The Grand Jam in front

Stuck in Jam towards Amdavad

Another architecture



My bike with Kashyap's bike


Vaibhav Kashyap with me

Started again for Abu road. The traffic being moderately on the emptier side, I was able to cruise comfortable at 130-140kmph constantly. I passed into the Ahmedabad (Amdvad/Mhemdawad... its got lot of names) express way for a mere 20bucks but soon opted out of the road to get to Dandi route, NH228. Its an heritage route. It was mere 100kms from here when I met a Supercross motor enthusiast from 1970's era. He said he used to race but left and settled for a mechanic's life here. He was highly hesitant to share his name or even pose for a photo. A medium heighted 5.7" with white hair, slim built man. Seemed to me like he was trying to get away from his past life seriously. He generously oiled my bike's dry chain for free. It wasn't long before Abu road was mere 300kms and the time was around 5PM.



The left from the Expressway towards the Highway..

Nap time... on the Khatiya!!

This river side is used as a beach in Gujrat, near Surat.

The Heritage route


A forgotten and neglected old fort type structure

Good bye daylight - I will ride at night

I could make out that Mt.Abu was not possible before the daylight runs out. Being adamant and stubborn, that I am, I continued into the dark highways with a fair share of traffic. Saw the moon rise, sadly the cell phone camera could not do the justice required. I reached Abu Road at around 8. The air was cold and most of the shops shutting down. Had food here and climbed up Mt.Abu at night. The curves were fantastic. Although I was startled twice at the corners by the langurs crossing the road, I still managed to touch down/knee down on a few of the corners. Checked into Star Villa for a mere 600bucks for the night. The room was good, bed was better and Aircondition was best. I was a bit exhausted and I have no idea when I passed out on the bed while trying to access internet.

Night riding

Cornered at night on Mt.ABu

In the morning... on Mt.Abu


Brand Promotion @ Nakki Lake

In an internal lake of the Mt.Abu. Came through this road when I took a wrong turn

In an internal lake of the Mt.Abu. Came through this road when I took a wrong turn

In an internal lake of the Mt.Abu. Came through this road when I took a wrong turn

Trevor Tank or Tal

Trevor Tal

Trevor Tal

Selfie at Trevor Tal




Now that was a massive tree at Trevor Tal

The Fundamental Duty of a Indian Citizen

Road to Trevor


My halt for the Night on Mt.Abu

The hills of Mt.Abu

Got up and ready to roll by 6AM and roamed around Mt.Abu till 10AM. Had breakfast at a high class Muslim guy run shack. I was speechless at his Urdu. His attire was a deep black velvet cape, shining white Kurta and some insanely beautiful leather chappals and complete royally designed walking stick. With his height hovering around 6feet with a slim built it seemed as if he has walked right out of some Afghani fashion show. Even the guy who cooked up the omlette toast, had somewhat of the same attire. I chitchatted with that guy (Hussain) for a bit. He directed me around.

Visited Nakki lake, Trevor lake and some more places around. The road leading to Trevor Tank after paying the entry fees needs to be rebuilt. The idiots put a huge layer of dust on the broken road making it ideal for SUV or for trek but dangerous of motorcycles. Managed to catch a glimse of the huge sized shy croc before it swam into the depths. There are also huge sized gold fishes swiming near the surface. Met Michael and Tania from Moscow who were visiting India and were here for a trek.

To Udaipur

Mt.Abu



Empty Highways of Rajasthan

Abhi khaali road p selfie toh banta hai

I am comming......

Now they are so empty that you can park right in the middle of the highway. Near the Granite Hills

This one was a beautiful waterway


Tunels of Rajasthan


Funny Names of Rajasthan....

Stuck admidst a huge Sheep herd..




Today, I am reaching Kota

Just after visiting the Pink City

Bhukkad Wanderer


It was soon 10AM and I started leaving Mt.Abu. Called Karan bhai from Kota, Rajasthan which was my next destination. Before long I was rolling faster on the empty roads of Rajasthan. Crossed a few places with very funny names like "Teja ka Was" and "Ento ka Khet". The instant thought that crosses the mind is Anil Kapoor in his earlier days, bare chested with a jungle of chest hair shouting, Teja!!!! :P  In Rajasthan, the petrol pumps are very far and seldom working. Had to push the bike for 10kms before getting to a pump that too on the opposite side of the road.

Soon after I crossed into the Udaipur-Chittorgarh T junction. Took the right to the City palace of Udaipur. Had food and returned. Traffic was now moderate which withered off soon after 20-30kms. Was feeling hungry again so stopped at a Dhaba for Butter Paneer and rotis. Befriended a Sardarji Trucker who was transporting stones to Chandigarh. He told me the routes. Soon after I took to the roads again. It was empty. The surroundings were scenic. Saw a few ruins enroute and a few lakes.

Around 200kms from Kota, when I was cruising around 140, a Safari Storme loaded with a few guys came up and starting videographing me. After 10mins for riding like that, they asked me to stop. I was shit scared. I was ready with my marine knife lest anything happened. Later came to know that he was a local politician and a motor enthusiast. We clicked a few photographs together. He gifted me a Gold plated Zippo lighter. After waving him good bye, started again on my route to Kota.

It was dusk when I saw the board for Kota stating a left. I took that left into hell. This was the worst road you can possibly imagine. Even the Supercross track seemed like a buttersmooth road infront of this. I was mentally thanking the guy who prepped up the shocks to withstand anything, on literal terms. You can not make out if the road was in the craters or craters on the road. To add up to that, there was a huge dust cloud, so thick that it hid the trucks just in front of me. It was 22kms of pure offroading hell on a touring prepped bike.

Crossed Chambal river into the town of Kota. It was all Mela around and I nearly lost my way when the good hearted motor enthusiast politician came to my help and directed me the way after leading me for a few kms. After I reached near the destination, called to Karan Paaji, my most trusted alliance, to come over. He soon reached and helped me to get a hotel room. It was damn costly at 2200 bucks for 24hours for single person. But it was totally worth it, well a bit overbudget though. He is the first Sardar I ever met who doesn't eat chicken. Well, it was tough to get chicken in these parts though.
Modes of Transportation

Now some idiot has put these boards up. don't get carried away, these are wrong. Its around 900kms to Allahbad

Beauty of Nature




Near Badi Sardari...

Seems like this grassland got flooded recently... It created this beauty



The 3rd road in India where you follow UK's traffic rule

Kota Chittorgarh Junction


Aaroli again... Now this isn't Mumbai's.... Its Rajasthan's

Butt rest

Selfie time!!

Selfie time..!!

The Politician Motorhead

Mela of Chambal

Gold plated Zippo

Funny lineup of shops...

Gears!


Morning stroll

The Chambal river




Warning!!

Chambal Ghaati

Chambal Ghati

Badal Mahal


Now the King in those days even had an ice cream machine....

Badal Mahal


Chambal Mela

Giant wheels at Chambal Mela

Entrance of RJU

Antique Phone Operator machine

The Beginning of Hell is called Mega Highway in Rajasthan's Kota

Road of Hell

Slept comfortably for the night after washing up the riding Tee and Jeans. Next morning I was again up at 6AM. After a bath went out to get some moisturiser. People were very busy as it seemed in this part of town and yes, pretty serious. Everyone had that look on their face. Everyone seemed like its been ages since they last smiled.

Around 9AM Karan bhai came to my hotel. We went out to have the famous Kota ki Kachaudi. That was very tasty. post fooding, we went to visit the Chambal ghaati. The area of the dacoits of 1970-1980's era. A bridge was being built here. Also went around the city. It was like everything about education. The city starts and ends its days from Education. This is the only city which proves my words that Education is the best business in today's times. Was amazed to know about a particular class of lecturers' salary which is 1Cr a month!!!! Must be the highest salary paid in the entire Nation.

Finally after visiting in and around the city, I decided to leave for Agra the same day. People said that there is a Mega Highway and I beleived them. Its worse than the streets of Pune. Entirely made up of stones for 10kms in between which later converts into an uneven tarmac road with pot holes in between. However, the scenery around compensated for the bad roads. Saw a few wild camels and then I was taken aback to see a group consisting of more than 100 wild cames shortly after.

It was dusk soon. I stopped at a dhaba asking directions to Sawai Madhopur. It was around 50kms from the dhaba. The road restrained me to travel above 50!! I could see lightening far away. It was night when I reached Sawai Madhopur. the roads were damaged and completely drenched. So, it was here that got the shower which I saw 30ish kms far. Asked for directions to the local police who were helpful and were equally enthralled to see me travel such long distance in the night. I took the road to Dausa from where I would join the Jaipur-Delhi Highway. This road was equally bad as the last one and more emptier.




Goodbye daylight aagin.... I will ride in the dark in these roads.

Beautiful sunset

Wild Camels

Wild Camels

Wild Camels

Darkout!!

Could not find a single dhaaba to eat for stretches apart. Stopped at one, when I was informed that they had closed for the day! I was like, " How can you do that??? Its only 9PM for Christs Sake!! " Got myself entertained a bit watching the Shakti Kapoor starred comedy flick running on their television sets. A few more kilometers further, I found two dhabas just to each other. Both were running the same channel on both sides of the road and the sound had a strange effect in the barenness around. I had food here as I was running hyper hungry. Had a good chat with the dhaba wala. He was dumb struck to see a biker in the dead of the night traveling the roads where even the truckers fear. He warned me strongly against the idea of riding further and even offered me a place for the night for free. But, I was damn adamant on reaching Agra to see the Taj.

Around 10-15kms more I crossed an empty toll gate. There was a single street lamp where I thought would be a good idea to click a snap. The grass on both sides of the road were at around 8-10feet high. Adding to the surroundings, it was creepyand chances of getting attacked by a wild animal was high in these surroundings. I am very confused about the inquisitivity of the people of Rajasthan specifically, taken into the count that this is the 3rd time I am crossing the state. I dunno why exactly people are more interested in my caste (Which I have absolutely no idea), my marriage (I am seriously considering the option of putting up a display board stating Bachaelor) and what I do for a living (What to tell you, even I have no idea what I do most of the time for a living). Even policemen, to whom I stopped and asked the directions were very keen on knowing these details. However, it wasn't before 1AM when I touched the Jaipur-Agra Highway. A short break was necessary and I stopped a few kms ahead at a Dhaba. Befriended a trucker from Bihar who was coming from Jaipur and going towards Agra. This guy too was pretty scared when I mentioned him the route. He was literally congratulating me on my safe ride through the patch. I have no freaking idea why, but this did freak me out a bit. Whatever maybe, I was safe and thats all mattered.


Hundreds of Wild Camels!!

Hundreds of Wild Camels!!

Tree covered road!!

The height of the grass! its Huge!!!!

Shakti Kapoor's Comedy fick's Dhaba

The fooding Dhaba

Could not find a single dhaaba to eat for stretches apart. Stopped at one, when I was informed that they had closed for the day! I was like, " How can you do that??? Its only 9PM for Christs Sake!! " Got myself entertained a bit watching the Shakti Kapoor starred comedy flick running on their television sets. A few more kilometers further, I found two dhabas just opposite to each other. Both were running the same channel on both sides of the road and the sound had a strange effect in the barreness around.
Finally on the Jaipur-Agra Highway

Little refreshment to lighten up the acidity




The Khatiya

Selfie on the Khatiya


Around a 100ish kms more, I felt a very heavy wave of fatigue. Thats when I decided to stop and have a bit of rest for the day. Unfortunately Bharatpur was quite far and I was not in a more to travel that distance in a state of fatigue. Somehow managed to get hold of a Dhaba within the next 10kms. Asked him for a "Khatiya or bed" for which he charged me 150bucks and later settled for a fine 100Rupee note. I paid him 50bucks more in order to keep a close watch on my belongings as I slept.I slept soundly since 3AM till 6AM and as I woke up, I found my things to be intact. It was a heart warming feeling. My first target was Bharatpur, the practical boundary of Uttar Pradesh. After around 20-25mins ride, I crossed a toll where I was welcomed by a boy in his early teens may be with his pet monkey "Akrru".I stopped by him to have a chat and a snap. Asked him about his schooling. The boy was an orphan and made his living by the day by showing tricks with his pet Akrru and studing by the evening. It was good to know about that. Gave him a 500rupee note and his eyes gleamed with joy. I still remember his words "Bhaiyaji, bahut dino baad isse dekhne ka mauka mila hai, pichli baar ek Mem ne di thi" i.e. Brother, its been a long time since I saw this note. Last time one foreigner woman had given this to me. I was now at a loss of words.






The boy with Akrru

Rains greet me at Bharatpur








Bharatpur's Wet Highway

Red Fort

The Taj - Finally






Few kms more towards Agra, I get greeted by rain. Stopped a bit under a tree which was pretty useless in blocking the rains. I continued into Agra. Saw the Red Fort but I was in no mood to stop by it. Today was Taj's day. I soon reached Taj's West gate and parked the bike. There was this guy with his camel who asked me if I was interesed in taking a ride to the Mausolem. He said 50bucks for the ride to and from Taj. I said, I will pay you 300bucks for only you showing me around.I was wet and in no mood to deal with other guides around. Moreover, this guy looked poor. However, it turned out to be my best choice. I got the treatment of what a foreigner tourist gets. additionally, I never required to stand in any sort of queue, felt something like a VIP.




The Customary shot



My Tongawallah + Guide of Agra




Boot socks

The Inscription stone of the Taj



Funniest part was in the security check. After I had kept my luggage in the locker room and went through the Market place of Taj, the Meena Bazar, I was still wearing the metallic knee guards and the riding jacket. While in security check, the military guy was confused about allowing me or not. He talked to his senior and I could distinctly catch the two words "Civillian Commando". After the checking and all, I asked him what was it all about. He said, Taj is visited by bikers and the guys who wear these metallic armors are nicknamed Civillian Commando, as only they are allowed with metal armors other than black cat commandos. It took me some time to absorb what he said. However, I was asked to wear this Boot socks to prevent pollution to the Mausolem. Mostly all Indians were required to remove their foorwear and only the foreigner tourist were allowed to keep them on but with this boot socks.






Traffic Jam towards Yamuna Express Way from Agra

Wet Entrance on the Yamuna Express way


Drying out clothes in the middle of the Express way


Finally the 2 brothers meet!!

Customary Shot!!

Expressway Toll receipt











I rescue this Piegion at  Chattarpur house. This guy got his legs entangled in a piece of thread

Free Wash for NW Member @ Bajaj SVC Sector 63 Noida




After the visit to Taj finished, I left for the Yamuna Express way. The road leading to the Express way was too bad. Even few poeple were trying to race with me. Finally I reached the Yamuna Express way. I was completely drenched and it was still raining. The air was cold. Asked at the toll booth about the climate ahead, and I was informed that till 55kms it was the same. It was spine chilling at even a mere 100kmph with all those gears.However, after around 80kms, the climate seemed better. I stopped to dry out my boots and Tee. After a stop of around 30mins, called up Shashank who was about to come to receive me from teh Express way. I am bit weak in directions of the Greater Noida and Noida. It all seems the same to me and its utterly confusing. I took off soon. Speeds were in the range of 140+ and still then all the cars were over taking me...Met Shashank after crossing the Toll booth of Jewar, the last toll both on the Delhi end. shashank showed me around at Budhh International Circuit (BIC: India's only F1 track) before heading towards his home at Chattarpur.



No comments:

Post a Comment